The stories of life

The stories of life
LIFE

Saturday, April 3, 2010

-->
It was just a small mistake
 Mrs. Sikha Roy, a 48 years old widow and a railway employee. She was excited on that day! Her  24 years old pregnant daughter Prianka was coming with her husband Alok to her house for her delivery. 10 years ago after her husband’s death it was not easy to handle everything alone especially her 14 years old daughter. It was the biggest responsibility or you can say the biggest challenge of her life. But she did her job wonderfully because handling arrogant Prianka was not an easy task. But today she is happy that her daughter has got married to a guy like Alok who is a mature, caring, sensible and a wonderful, honest and idealistic human being. He is in the top administrative services. He reminds Shikha of her husband Mr. Manav Roy who was also an honest IPS(Indian Police service) officer. From the morning Sikha has been so busy for making all the arrangements for them. . 

Alok was driving into the outer suburb. He was on his way to Shikha's home along with Prianka. The music system of  his car was playing the old Bangla song, "Boro aka lage ei andhare!". Prianka got  irritated and asks him to stop that. 
Alok says, “What's your problem?"”.
 "Don't you think that it is boring?".
"I know"..For you it is... It is from the movie, "Chowrongi". I love the book more..."
"Whatever... Do I really care?
"Nope..You need not tell me that,my dear.
At 11 o’clock, Prianka and Alok reached to Shikha's place. Prianka said Shikha, “Mom, look at me, I’ve put on weight; I’m looking so ugly! This baby is killing me. I’m just sick of it”.

You shouldn’t say anything like that, sweetheart. This is the most wonderful moment of every woman’s life. After the delivery, join the gym and be careful about your diet. Simple. 
Prianka, looking at Alok, in a teasing manner says: "No mom, I’m the wife of an “honest” government officer. So, I can’t afford an expensive gym”.

"Dear, then do some yoga at home; not a big deal!" 
Alok didn’t say anything. He just s up stood up and went to the varanda. Everything was so beautiful and  wonderful relaxing. He just loved Shikha’s garden. 
He says, "Beautiful! This is the advantage of having a house in the suburbs. In the city life, we miss everything. I mean the gift of the nature.There everything is so artificial..Have you ever thought about Bonsai

 I don’t know anything about that.

 I will give you some books based on that.
Thank you Alok.
Prianka was annoyed.
Oh stop it! I’m bored! Mom, how could you maintain yourself so wonderfully? I mean in the age of 48, how could you look so young and beautiful?
But before Shikha says anything, Alok says: “It is someone’s inner beauty which makes the  person beautiful. But you can’t understand that.”
"What do you mean?"
 "Well, well, well, just chill. I’m getting coffee for Alok and juice for you, Pinky. And no fighting please. In this condition you shouldn't take any stress."

"You are always on his side, mom. I don’t understand who is your child, me or him?"
"Both of you are equal to me honey. And you know this very well that I’m always in favor of the “right”. Just like your dad. I’m proud of Alok. I can see the reflection of your dad in him. You should be proud of him too. "
Prianka was unable to understand what to say. Alok was still in the varanda. 

Shikha went to the kitchen. Meanwhile, Alok entered. 
She said: "I’m sorry for her. After her dad’s death….."
Alok suddenly held her hand and said: "Don’t say anything like that." Shikha was not prepared. For his behaviour, she was a bit embarrassed. 

"Sorry! But don’t blame yourself because it was not your fault. You know what different people, different thoughts. You can never change someone’s nature."

Shikha  noticed something; Some changes in him. She asked, “Is everything okay?”
 “I have to go back tomorrow. There is a communal rite in my area. Can’t be with her. I should but I’m helpless. She doesn’t try to understand anything. She thinks that I’m ignoring her."

“I will make her understand; don’t worry. I’ve talked to Dr. Sen. He is the best. He is handling Prianka’s case. I know him personally, one of our close family friends. I’ve made all the arrangements in the nursing home. Don’t worry.”
Alok couldn’t control his emotions and hugged  her and says:

"Why? Every single time…. I feel like a looser….Noone is there for me.. Noone understands, nobody cares... I need a shelter” .Shikha tried  to cool him down: “It’s okay... its okay…. Everything will be cool. Time is the best healer”.But deep down inside, she was feeling guilty for him and embarrassed for his behaviour as well and most of all, ashamed of her daughter.

In the afternoon, after the lunch Shikha played her favorite song “Boro aka lage ei adhare”(Feeling so lonely in the dark). She was tapping her foot with the rhythm. Prianka was  annoyed and says: "mom, please change the music. It’s boring and old as well. Gosh, both you people will kill me for sure!"
Alok as usual was cool and relaxed,
" No don’t; it is my favorite too. Don’t stop. "

Shikha amazed : "Really?" 
"Oh yeah! If you really feel lonely then why don’t you come out of the cocoon of “loneliness?”  
 Shikha was confused! "What do you mean, Alok?"
"Every single day you wake up in the morning, go to the office and then come back, watch the boring TV serials and then go to sleep. The same old routine life. "
" So what do you want me to do? Go to the night clubs or for a date?” And starts laughing. She continues : “Look at me. I am not as young as you, guys. I’m happy with my office, garden, TV serials and the “old” music, that’s it.
 "Open up your eyes, open all the doors of your heart. It’s a beautiful world. Live your life. Being fourty eight doesn’t mean that everything is over." 
'This time Prianka lost her patience and control and said: Will you please stop it!
"Stop what?" , Asked Alok.
"You know what I mean. I’m just sick of these."
"Sick of what?"
"you and your child and everyone over here…."
" Have you ever thought about what have you done?"
"You are right.. But you know what? I didn't have any option to "do". Everything was forceful.You are suggesting my mom to live her life? Did anyone give me the chance? Did I have any choice?as any  Oneday she came and told that I've to marry... and that's it! Was there any chance to live?"
Shikha was speechless.. She asked her,
"That means you are blaming me for everything?".

"Mom, you don’t know anything. I’m just shocked to see this man! Irresponsible, selfish…. I don’t know how he could put all the blame on me!!"
"Don’t take any stress, Pinky; I’m telling you over and again."
"But mom, do you know…
"Yes I do… He told me."
Prianka (Was shocked): "What?! Do u? "
Shikha: Yes honey, but for once try to understand his situation? This is also the most special occasion of his life and he can't be able to be a part of it".
"Every single time….."
"I’m here with you. And he will be back after finishing his work."
"No body loves me. I’m missing dad."
She started  weeping. Shikha and Alok both tried to stop her but they failed. 
Shikha was worried about the complications of Prianka and Aloks' relationship. She didn’t know what to do. In the afternoon she was in the garden and decided to talk to her daughter but she was a bit confused whether she should interfere in the personal matters of husband and wife or not. But on the other side she thought that she should show her daughter a right way.

Helianthus annus”. Alok said; 
Shikha looked back and said," You’ve done your Masters in Physics. I didn’t know that you have a good knowledge of Botany too.”
"You know that gardening is my hobby. So before doing anything you need a proper knowledge about that. I can say the scientific name of every single plant. Ask me.
"Name this plant."
"Dahlia pinnate." 
"And this one?"
"ahhh this one?! This one?! Let me think."
"Okay take your time."
"I know the name…."
"Chrysanthemum coronarium.Family Asteraceae."
Alok was stunned!
Shikha(Smiling): Before doing any thing, you need a proper knowledge about that.
"Every single time you make me shocked. You are full of surprises and mysterious as well. In short, you are amazing! You know what we are compatible. Both we share a common wave length."
"I’d be happier if you would say that you and Pinky were compatible and share  “a common wave length”. 
"You are right. I wish we could."
"Why not? I mean she is childish; but you are not. I trust you. You can handle everything. Relationship is a very delicate thing my dear. You always have to handle carefully. You need patience;"
"Patience huh?I wish I could make you understood.”
"Relax Alok. Let’s have some coffee."
"Not a bad idea."


In the evening, Shikha talked  to Prainka; But she couldn’t make her understand anything. In the morning Alok left her house and drove  back into the city.
After few weeks Prianka got  admitted to the nursing home for her delivery. Shikha was tensed. It was also one of the toughest times  of her life.  She prayed to the God.The doctor came to her and told that the situation of Prianka was complicated.She tried to call Alok but his phone was switched off. He was busy in handling the rite.She was totally confused and scared as well. She came to home to get dinner for Prianka. There she saw that Alok was back. He heard everything and sat on the couch. on’t get upset. Shikha tried to chill him.
Alok suddenly hugged her tightly. Shikha was so shocked. He held her chin and looked into her eyes. He was about to kiss her. Shikha this time lost  her cool and shouted: 
“What the hell are you doing, Alok?”
"I don’t know. I really don’t….. All I need is a perfect life; someone who cares for me, supports me, backs me… but……… Noone is there to understand me."
" Oh my Gosh! Every single time I blame my daughter. I thought that she was childish, immature and materialistic; But you …..?! I mean I’ve never seen such a self-centered guy like you! I’m shocked! How could you? Your kind of a guy can never think beyond himself. Your wife is struggling for life there and here you are calculating what you have got and what haven’t…. Awesome!  Now leave. Please."
" I didn’t mean it… I mean let me explain."
"You don’t need to."
She left the room.She went to the nursing home with the dinner for Prianka but she was not in that condition to eat anything. Shikha didn’t know what she was supposed to do. She comes out of their. She was broken. Suddenly she saw  someone there was  weeping. She went closer to him. It was Alok.
" What are these tears for?"
His head was down. He couldn’t look at her. She put her hand on his head like a mother and hugged him. He started crying loudly like a child. 
Shikha said,“Everything will be fine, my dear. I believe in God”. 
"I am sorry."
"It’s okay."
The night was the longest night of their lives.In the morning, doctor came with a good news. Prianka gave birth to a girl child. Shikha and Alok both of them were very happy.
When Prianka held her child for the first time, she felt something. Something which she had never felt before. It was the world’s best feeling. A drop of tear fall from her eyes. The single drop took all the pain away. In the evening doctor gave  permission to meet her. Shikha asked Alok to meet her. He was excited. 
He entered  the room and sats besides Prianka. She was holding the baby. Alok asked, "How are you feeling now?" Prianka looks at him. Her eyes filled with tears and she said, “Will you forgive me if I say sorry to you?”
Alok said, “I think both we have to say sorry to each other. I’m sorry too”.
"I could never express my love to you and that is my biggest fault. I never try to understand you.  Mom was right. The fact is Alok, I love you. Yes I do. The baby has changed me. The touch is magical!"
" I love you too."
He looked  at the baby and said “she looks like an angel”.
"You are right."
Once again they looked at each other and both of their eyes filled with tears and they kissed. 
After few weeks, Prianka got discharged from the nursing home.The day when they were leaving the place, Shikha said: 
"Alok, you always say that I should live the life. You know this my new life. Today I’m the happiest person on earth. Have a happy and safe journey. Love you all." 
Then Alok, Prianka along with the baby got into the car. But before getting started, Alok got down and came to Shikha and said, “Sorry”.
She smiled and said, “You don’t need to. It was just a small mistake”. 
She gave him a flower. He said (smilling):

"Chrysanthemum coronarium. Family Asteraceae."

5 comments:

  1. Awesome... u really able 2 bring small small but very true & appropriate things out 4rm life.... really great job... sometimes rather many a times we think like dat specially those of us who is still like Alok... i mean everybody has an Alok inside him/her & dat desire remains unsatisfied till he/she does not meet with a right person at the right time & place.. so I hav 2 admit dat u hav got xceptional talents to bring out all dese feelings & desires at the the right moment.... very gud.. hats off.....!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. word are inadequate to describe the satisfaction felt after reading such a compact and gripping short story........ life is not about the what I have not got but what I have with me...... wonderful portrayal of human emotions.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear ones,
    thnx 4 ur lovely comments. Yeah that's right we spend our lives by calculating what we've got and what not... D biggest culprit s the "desires",mostly some "hidden" desires which can never be fulfilled..We can never get satisfied wid whatever we've got and prob starts..
    thnx again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. some prices are just too high, no matter how much you may want the prize..the one thing that you cant trade for your heart's desire is your heart..

    ReplyDelete