The stories of life

The stories of life
LIFE

Sunday, October 30, 2011

The game of destiny!

                  In the morning I  was going through the new case file. This time the things are getting worse. Few days ago he was arrested. But still no one could make him talk. A very strange case history.
Name: John Stevens, Age 37 , few years ago he was merely a labor in the construction sites of the city. But suddenly he got trapped in the under world.How a labor of  construction sites became a criminal or a murderer or an extortionist. That's a big question! And there is no way out because he is not talking. He is not at all deaf or dumb but he is not opening his mouth. Seems like a movie!
                      Suddenly my phone started ringing-it was my colleague Ajay Sen. We have been working together for a long long time . A fat , ugly , irritating guy! Working with him really  sucks and the most sucking thing about him was-"HE IS OVER CONCERNED ABOUT ME!" I love my attitude ; I love my loneliness , but this guy is making me sick! Always try to enter into my privacy! Usually I ignore his calls but I thought this time he called just to know the case history but no way! I don't know who appointed him as an investigating officer of the Delhi Crime branch? I picked up the phone and as expected it was the same old story -

"Amanda  ! Good morning!"
"I'm busy. Studding John's case history."
"Oh ! I see! I called you because........"
"Because' what? Anyways catch you up later!" Just cut the phone! In short he sucks!

My dad died long back when I was a child. Mom is the only person in my life. My best friend with whom I can share anything.She came to me and said, "Why do you behave with him like that all the time?"
"Mom ! He is sucking!"
"No he is sweet! The day when you will learn to differentiate -'who is right' and 'who is wrong', that day you will regret for  whatever you did!"
"Mom! I am an investigating officer of the crime brand! You think that I can't "differentiate"  right and wrong? "
"You have just five years of experience in crime brunch but I have more experience about  'life' Which is harder and bigger than your crime branch! Understood?"
"All right mom! I gotta go! Will be late!"
"What's new honey? Don't worry I'll wait for you. Have a great day!"
Thanks mom ! Bye!"  

When I reached to the office, my senior officers were waiting for me. I explained everything about the case. I needed more time! I was totally messed up ! Suddenly Bharti , my another colleague cum hand writing expert came to me and said, "Amanda , I need to talk to you! "
"About what? The case?"
"No! About Ajay!"
"Jesus Christ! Now what he did?"
"Well! In the lunch time I will tell you!"
"Cool!"


I went to the interrogation room to interrogate John. He was as usual by keeping his heads down was sitting. I,  might be for the 100th time told him-" Speak up , John! Like that you can't survive! Don't be afraid. We will give you protection to you and your family!"
He was still silent. He was looking down. Suddenly the sucking Ajay Sen entered into the room and started yelling,
"Amanda ! Are you okay? I have heard that seniors came and they will hand over the case to someone else! Please don't be upset!"
"Will you please keep quite and leave me alone! "
That made him sad!  He walked away without saying anything!
Here I am sick of this John and his silence.
During lunch time Bharti came to me and said,
"I need to talk to you, Amanda !"
"Some other time."
"Please Amanda! For once please listen to me."
"Okay!"
"Amanda , I am in love!"
"So what I will do?"
"The problem is he doesn't love me."
"So..............??"
"Only you can convince the guy!"
"What?What are you talking about?I just can't understand ! I have some important jobs to do! I gotta go!"
"Wait a minute.. Amanda I love Ajay! But he doesn't love me and only you can convince him.."
            It was a very very shocking news for me! But I walked away without caring. Once again I went to interrogate John! I had to make him talk otherwise they would give the case to someone else. Department has lost faith in me. Any how I have to bring my dignity back!  I was just searching the way out! 

I was interrogating him! Once again Ajay entered in to the room and asked some unnecessary useless questions- "Did you have your lunch Amanda? Are you feeling better now?"
I just loose my cool! In my situation any one would do the same thing. I just shout at him and said,
"Get out of here! Let me do my job!"
 Once again I made him sad. But I was helpless.

Coming back , I was thinking that my behavior to Ajay was really rude. Suddenly I got an idea! "BHARTI!" She can only save me. I called Ajay and asked, "Can you meet me right now?"
I know I know what he felt! He just jumped from his chair and came to my house.
Seeing him, my mom was delighted.
"Hey Ajay! It's good to see you. You wana have some coffee?"
"Good evening aunty ! Yeah sure I would love to!"
She went inside to make coffee.
Ajay came to me and said,
"Yes Amanda, you wanted to talk to me?"

"Oh yeah! I don't know how to say! But do you believe in real love?"
"Yes I do!"
"You  should choose someone who loves you!"
"Amanda I am getting impatient!"
"I know...Ajay there is a girl who loves you and you know that person!"
"Yeah I know! But I want to hear that from you!"
He was expecting someone else but I broke his dream!
"Bharti Pradhan! She is in love with you!"


He dropped from the blue! He said, "For that you called me here?"
Meanwhile mom came to the living room with the cups of coffee. Ajay stood up and without saying anything walked away. Mom just said to me,
"One day you will regret for that! Mark my words!"

Next day when I reached to the office, I wanted to talk to Ajay! But he was still upset and for the first time he was angry with me. I tried to convince him. But he was not listening to me.
As usual I was busy in John's case history. Any how I have to make him speak. But he was as usual silent! My sources could not find any information about him. We visited all the contractors, all the slums. But at the end of the day only disappointment came to us.

 Suddenly I got sms from  Bharti. "Did you talk to him?" I couldn't reply. At the end of the day I once again talked to Ajay. he said,
"I know you never liked me! But yesterday whatever you said that was......."
"Ajay I never loved you! You always knew that!How you could  fall for someone who never cares  for you but the person who can do justice with your feelings, you can not love her?"
"Okay Amanda, I will never come back! Whatever you want, I will do!"


     On the next day I went to the interrogation room! Over and again I was looking at the door! Something made me shocked! John looked up! He was looking at me with a blank expression! It was so strange! Like everyday I didn't ask him to speak up.I don't know why!  I stood up and left the room! I turned back. Shockingly he was still staring at me. I went to my cabin! Sit on my chair and closed my eyes. I didn't want to think anything. Suddenly Bharti entered! It seemed like she was blue!  I asked,
"What?"
"Ajay left!"

"What do you mean?"
"He gave his resignation! No body knows where is he!"
I didn't react anything! Once again closed my eyes. That made her shocked for sure!

When I came back! Mom asked,
"What's wrong?"
"Mom, Ajay resigned. Nobody knows where is he now!"
"Wow ! That's a great news! You wanted that! So where is the party tonight?"
"Mom! What are you saying?"
"I told you! One day you will regret! Today I don't have any sympathy for you!"
She went to sleep! Today I feel so lonely! No one is with me. Suddenly I got a call! John escaped from the jail!

I rushed to the office! There was a big mess! Seniors and everyone were cursing me! I didn't know what to do!
The entire police force were searching him. Suddenly I got a letter!It was on my table! How it came I didn't know. It was written, "Meet me at 9B, building no 345, Golden complex,Basant Bihar!" I don't know who was this! Actually I didn't have time to think anything. Suddenly something made me confused! "9B , building no 345, Golden Complex" was a construction site!I went to Bharti1 She was feeling blue! I showed the letter to her.
"Oh my goodness!"
"Do you know the hand writing?"
"Yes! This is John's!"
"How could you be so sure?"
"Do you remember when he was brought here, we found some papers in his pocket! He wrote something on those."
"Oh yeah now I remember!"
"Lets call the force!"
"No no wait!I have to meet him alone! "
"Are you sure?"
"Yes! and Bharti! Please don't loose your heart! I am sorry!"
She smiled. But still there was a pain in her smile!

At 8p.m , I reached there. He was standing on the top floor of the construction site . I said,"Why did you do that? You have taken a big risk John! The entire police force is searching you!"
"So, your friend has gone?"
"What?"
"You miss the crazy guy?"
"Who?"
"Your friend! "
"How do you know? "
"I know! My life was cool, you know? I used to live in slums of the city! Martha was my wife!She was just a cooking machine to me. I used to come home, she used to serve me food. That's it! Besides that I never asked her what did she want. I never cared! I used to work in the construction site in the morning , in the evening I was busy in gambling and drinking cheap wine with my friends! I was happy. I was satisfied. It was my life. One day I came back home as usual  12 o'clock at night. I was drunk! There was a crowd in front of my house! Martha was vomiting! She was serious! I took her to the Govt hospital! They said that she had lung cancer! The night I can never forget! I was cursing myself. For the first time in my life I realized my fault. I realized how much I loved her. I wanted money for her treatment. But no one was ready to give money to a drunkard like me. I lost my hope. Suddenly one of my friends came to me. He gave me a proposal."
He was silent for a while. Then he started-
"I was trapped in a drug racket. They were paying good money for that. Martha's treatment had been started! I was happy. She was also happy to get me."
He stopped and started whipping !I said, "relax John ! Now where is Martha? Do you want to meet her?"
" I couldn't save her!"
That made me stunned. That was painful as well.
He continued, "After her funeral I was coming to the police but before that they arrested me! There was nothing left in my life!"
He gave me a piece of paper and said,
"This is my confession and the list of names who were involved in this racket! One thing I have realized! Ignoring your loved one-is the biggest mistakes of your life! Both of us did the same thing isn't it ? now I am getting late! And yes I want to meet Martha!"

He jumped from the building! I can't describe anything! What was going on in my mind!
I called the force! Before the media caught me, I escaped from there.

I went to Ajay's house. I don't know why! Everyone said that he left the city but it was hard to believe that. I was right! He hadn't left yet! He was locking the door.I said,
"So you haven't left?"
He was shocked to see me.
"Yeah! My flight is at 10 o'clock!"
"Where are you going?"
"Do you really care?"
"Ahhh if I say yes. I do! then what will you say?"
He was confused. How about mom's coffee? Lets go to my house!"
He couldn't understand how to react! I said, "I know I hurt you a lot! But John taught me a big lesson before going!"
"John?"
"Committed suicide! It's a long story! Will tell you on the way! But before that keep your luggage inside! And the most important thing- I love you Ajay!"
He was delighted! I hugged him!
"I'll always be beside you till the very end, wiping all your tears away, being your best friend. I'll smile when you smile and feel all the pain you do, and if you cry a single tear, I promise I'll cry too."






      










                       


4 comments:

  1. Too good story.I liked it.May be someday you'll also understand(like Amanda)how much a guy loved you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is all about risks and it requires you to jump. Don't be a person who has to look back and wonder what they would have or could have had. No one waits forever:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too many mistakes and a shallow storyline ... Try reading the story yourself, you will find those errors ... I know you only approve affirmative comments to be posted...As you wish... but this is just a critical comment... few of your earlier stories were good....

    --Anonymous

    ReplyDelete