The stories of life

The stories of life
LIFE

Friday, January 29, 2010

-->    Love, Relationship etc...
 “When going gets tough and the tough gets going….” I like the song. During the bad times of life we always curse the God and the destiny and ask: “why me?” The experiences of my life taught me one thing that “bad times teach us a lot.” Life is full of surprises. 

I’m Victoria. I was born in Panjim, Goa. I lost my mother when I was 6. My dad got married to a lady, Susana. I can’t say anything about her because I never cared.I never accepted her as my “mother”. Her caring nature and all that seemed to be “pretension” to me. She didn’t have a child of her own. I believed, "A 'Step' is always a 'step'." 
One day my dad passed away. He was a patient of blood cancer. That time I was twenty two. After his death, I decided to leave Goa and move to Mumbai. The day when I told Susanna about my decision, I remember her face turned pale, her eyes filled with tears and she asked me, not to leave her. She needed me. But without caring her tears, I moved to Mumbai. I got a job there. Everything was absolutely fine. But in between a couple of years I never called her or I wasn’t even interested to know about her. 
-->
But suddenly GLOBAL ECONOMIC CRISIS ruined everyone's life. It was the worst day of my life. The termination letter was in my hand. During the period of recession, such incidents was not so much unfamiliar. The same kind thing had already happened to my other colleagues as well. Perhaps something like that was waiting for me as well. I didn’t know what to do. So I started searching job on the NET and in the newspapers. Surviving in Mumbai without a job was impossible. I was too tensed that lost my apatite. I was ready for any kind of job. Even I was ready to compromise with my salaries and the designations. 
-->
  After a month of unemployment, suddenly I got a job, in a publication house. But it was in Panjim, Goa. Oh no not again!! Destiny once again brought me there. I didn’t have any other choice. But I decided that I would not be back to that house where “the lady” lived. So, it was the time to say “good bye” to Mumbai and “hello” to Goa, once again.
-->
Coming back, I took a rented house. After the interview, I got selected in the "WATSON PUBLICATIONS".
-->
     Every one was so friendly and helpful in my new office.It was the first impression about my office.


“I’ll fire you all…. What the hell you, people think this office is, a ‘picnic spot’ or something?” There was a guy, about 50. Medium height, whitish complexion, carefully styled graying hair, his medium gray suit was from the Armani. There was a kind if expensive good taste of the money can buy him. My colleague, Danny whispered: "oh my god, the T REX. I mean the Tyrannosaurus Rex." I asked: what? He said: Mathew Watson, the President. He has made our life hell. Beware of him. A wicked psycho.”  
-->
Mathew Watson is the most successful magazine publishers. Starting with a hand operating press, he founded one of the first weekly picture magazines in the year 1980. His formula was simple- tell it in words and make it shocking, then back it up with pictures that made all competitors look like novices. His chain of eight magazines ranging from life style  for teenagers to the playboy magazines made him a multi millionaire. There were many other branches of his magazines all over the country. 
-->
Then I moved to our project room along with my other colleagues. We were waiting for the editor. And when he entered, the world stopped turning to me. Oh he was the cutest guy that I had ever seen in my life. The cutest guy in the universe. He was young and a classy gentle man. His smile, the way of talking, walking, politeness and every thing were enough to move a woman’s head. I was mesmerized. His name was Ted Wilson. Oh Ted!! But he didn’t pay attention to me? 
-->
In the weekend, I had nothing to do. So, I went to the beach. I was sitting there. Suddenly I saw someone was sitting far away from me. It was TREX. It was a bit shocking to me. Shocking, because his kind of multi millionaires usually spend their weekends in the golf courses or luxurious elite clubs, but he was there alone. Yeah don’t know about “wicked” but might be he was “crazy”. I didn’t want him to see me. So I got up and started walking. 
-->
“Hey! Wait!” 
-->
I looked back. It was TREX. It seemed to be that the real TREX was coming to me. 
-->
“Hey, do I know you?” 
-->
I said: oh yes sir, I’m the new employee in your office. I mean the teen magazine section.  
-->
He said: oh whatever…. 
-->
Everything about him, in short, “simply irritating”…
-->
“Are you running away, because of me?”
-->
I: oh no sir, absolutely not… Actually I gotta go…
-->
He cut me in the middle & said, “That means I was right”.
-->
“Oh no, sir”….
-->
“Then come and give me company”.
I: oh sure, sir.
-->
Mathew: I know everything girl, whatever people think about me.  Their opinion about me… I know everything…. You know what I used to be a cheerful guy. I used to smile, have fun just like the others. I dedicated my life for the publication house. A huge effort required to do that. Long thirty years….
-->
I: Can I ask you something, if you don’t mind?
Mathew: Sure girl...
-->
I: You are the company President. I mean, your kind of people usually spend their weekends in the luxurious elite clubs and all that, but what you are doing here? I mean alone….
-->
Mathew: Do you think that rich people don’t have any problem or tensions in their lives? 
-->
I: That’s right. But what do you mean by that?
-->
Mathew: Money is important but it is not everything. If it was then I would be the happiest man on the earth. Do you get me?












  I: frankly speaking, no… -->
Mathew: You don’t need to… 
You are just an employee… Get it??
-->
Shocking! What a man! Stupid, psycho. 
-->
I: okay sir, I gotta go.
-->
I stood up and stated walking. He from the behind shouted: Hey what’s your name girl?? 
-->
I turned back and said: Victoria Scott. 
-->
He was shocked and sprang on the place where he was sitting and said: WHAT?! Victoria?!
  -->
He was stunned. I didn’t get the reason. Anything it could be; his kind of “psycho” doesn’t need any reason for anything. 
-->
Anyways, next day in the office, we were all working then asusual everyone stopped and there was a pin drop silence… why? T-rex came. I was busy in submitting my file. So, I didn’t notice. Suddenly I felt someone was standing in front of my desk. I looked up. It was T-rex. Like any other day, he didn’t shout or threatened anyone. It was shocking to every one there. He very politely said, “Good morning, Victoria”.
-->
Every one there including me, astonished! Then he went to his cabin. I didn’t understand anything. 
-->
“Have you submitted the file?” I looked up. Oh, it was Ted! He was looking so cool. He looks cool everyday. What’s new about that? But whenever he comes infront of me, I forget everything. Without saying anything I, by looking at him was smiling like a stupid. Violins were playing in my mind. I was in the dream world with him. He said: “hello…”
-->
I came back from my dream world to the reality. 
Yes sir?”
"what about the file?"
"It's ready, sir".
"Then come to my cabin, miss".
"Victoria, sir".
"Cool, Victoria"... I spent the entire afternoon in his office.
-->
There were some changes in Mathew which everyone was noticing. His silence was a matter of worry to everyone. “T-rex” became “Mathew”.
-->
Well, everyday he used to wished me “good morning, Victoria”. I didn’t understand the reason.
-->
After the office hours when I was going to home, from behind Mathew called me, “Victoria”… I turned back, he came to me; and said, “I need to talk to you. I don’t know whether I should say or not…..”
I said, Sure sir, what can I do for you?
-->
Mathew: forget it. It is stupidity.
I: Sorry, I didn't get  you.
Mathew: No, forget it.
He was so confused.
"Hey Victoria!"
I looked back. It was Ted. He said: "Great job, well done."
-->
Oh I was so happy! He was calling me by my name and appreciated my work. I forgetting Mathew went to him. I was overwhelmed and said: thank you sir. And once again, the same old story, “the violins”, “dream world” etc etc. … He wanted to drop me to my home. Oh! It was the best day of my life. I without any argument I got into the car. Mathew was still there.
-->
Oh Ted is a very sweet guy. He is from Mumbai. I don’t need to say that how was the drive to me…
-->
Next day, Mathew wished me like every day. And then he called Ted in his cabin. Every one was working there; but a shout broke everyone’s concentration. Mathew was shouting on Ted. He insulted him. It was a mess. When Ted was coming out of the cabin, he was upset.
His face turned pale. Nobody understood the reason of Mathew’s such behaviour to him.
-->
After the office hours when Ted was going home, I went to him and asked, “Are you okay?”
-->
He said: “yes I am; don’t worry”.
  -->
But he was still looking upset.
"But why did he do that? The project work is absolutely fine."
"I don't know but it was the most embarrassing situation of my life. Anyways can I drop you to your home?"
"As you wish."
But I was really angry with Mathew's behaviour.
-->
In the weekend, I went to the church. I needed some peace of mind. The entire week was so hectic. 
-->
 I was sitting there. Suddenly some one sat besides me. Oh no, not again… Mathew! I was cursing God. 
-->
"May be the church is perfect place to tell you everything and please don’t interrupt me. Let me talk. I have been waiting for a long time to tell you something. Look at the guy sitting right there. "

-->
In the front row, there was a teenager  guy was sitting.
"He is Franklin, my Victoria's son."
I was so shocked! "Victoria?"
-->
"Yes, my Victoria. We were childhood friends. 'Best friends'. I loved her. But I could never able to tell her about my feelings. I’m the founder of the company. That time I wasn’t sure about it’s future. Victoria got married. Within five years, my company reached to a very good position. I got success within a very short period of time. I got everything “money”, “big house”, “car”… But I lost the most precious thing of my life. “My Victoria”. She was happy with her husband and son, Franklin. Suddenly…..
-->
He stopped and started weeping…. I asked “what happened?” He said (weeping), “One day my Victoria and her husband died in an accident.” I said: “Just relax, Mathew…. Stop crying.” He somehow recovered himself. He started again, “Frank was just five. His relatives didn’t want to take his responsibilities. They wanted to send him to an orphanage. I took all his responsibilities. You know what, I see my Victoria’s reflection in him. I wanted to play a role of his father. But he never accepts  me as his father. I tried my level best, but all my efforts are in vein. I don’t know why I am telling you everything? Just because of your name? May be there are a million Victorias n the world. But…. Don’t know…..”
I asked, "Did Victoria love you?"
-->
Mathew: I don’t know. But the day when Mark proposed to her, she came to me and asked ‘what should I do?’ It was the toughest question to me. But I said, ‘Sure, why not? He is a good guy, established…. He’ll make you happy, then why not?’ I wish I could explain to you that how I was feeling that time. She said: ‘will you not stop me?’ I said, ‘why should I?’ she said: ‘fine’ and walked away from there. My heart was saying: ‘Please don’t go.’ And he started weeping once again. 
I stood up and went to Franklin and said:  "Hi"...
He looked up and said: "Hi"
"Can I sit here, if you don't mind."
"As you wish."
"whats your name? Which class do you read in?"
"I'm Frank and I'm in the 7th standard". 
-->
There was a cricket kit with him. I said: So you play cricket. 
"Yeah, I went for the practice. But Mathew took me here in the boring place."
"Why don't you call him 'dad'?'
'DAD?!' who? Mathew? No way, he is not my dad. He is just nobody....My parents died in an accident. By the way, are you his friend?
"No, I'm not. I'm his employee....." "His employee? hahaha..Poor you... What is your name?"
"Victoria."
He stopped laughing and said: It was my mom's name.
"Frank, if Mathew is nobody, then where are your relatives?"
"I don't know."
-->
"you know why? Because after the death of your parents no one was ready to take your responsibility. It was Mathew, who took all your responsibilities, gave you shelter, love, everything, but he is still "no one" to you. Cool.... "
-->
He wondered and looked behind. Mathew was still weeping He asked, “Why is he crying?” I said, “Because of you. He wants you to call him, ‘dad’. I know honey it is hard. You are so young and that’s not your fault."
-->
I took Frank to Mathew, Frank asked : "Why are you crying dad? "Mathew wondered and looked up and said: What did you say? Frank said: “Stop crying dad….”It seemed that he got a treasure. He hugged him.
-->
Suddenly I remember something, the day of my dad’s burial. After two years I remembered the tears of Susana…. I even forgot the name. I never understood her feelings; I didn’t even listen to her when she said: “I need you”. Like Mathew, she sacrificed her entire life for me; But I??? I was pricked by conscience. I got out of there and walked towards the way to my home, not the rented house where I was living but my own house! The house which my dad made! Where my mother lives!
-->
I went there; she was sitting in the Varanda, facing the sea. I from the behind put my hand on her shoulder. She looked back. Seeing me, she was speechless; she said: "Vickie??" I didn’t have words to say anything; I just said: “I’m sorry, mom.” She stood up from the chair and hugged me. Both we couldn’t stop our tears. For the first time in my life I was feeling that I was the luckiest girl on earth. I got my mom. And then I shifted to my house. My mom’s house.
 
-->
In the office another surprise was waiting for me. In the lunch hours suddenly Ted came to me and proposed in front of everyone. It was the happiest moment of my life. 
-->
But in the afternoon Mathew called Ted in his office. When Ted came out of there, his face turned pale. He was looking so upset… I asked: what happened? Words were not coming out of his mouth, he said: "I’m fired…" I was shocked. "WHAT?!"
-->
I went to Mathew’s cabin and asked: Why?
-->
He said: I can’t afford to take the risk to loose my Victoria again….
-->
I: What the hell is ‘my Victoria?’ I’m not “your Victoria”. Look at me… I am not… Might be that Victoria didn't say ‘I love you’. But this Victoria will say “I hate you”.
-->
I got out of there. Ted needed me. I decided to give my resignation. Next day I went to office to give resignation. I entered into Mathew’s cabin. He said: You are late. This is out of the rules of my office. 
-->
"I came here to give my resignation. "
-->
"Go to your project room. "
-->
"I’m not gonna work under any other editor. You fired Ted without any reason and that's not fair enough."
-->
"I said, just go to your project room. Go… It’s an order.'
  -->
After entering into the room, I was shocked! It was Ted….!!! "Oh my god!”
-->
He was smiling. I said “I don’t believe this!"
-->
“Believe it”… Mathew from behind said, “Frank and I are going to the Disney land. Ted is the most responsible employee of mine. I can rely on him and gave him the responsibility of the office for few weeks….. I need a break desperately. But I will miss you. My friend, Victoria…..
God bless you both..."



 
-->


7 comments:

  1. very cinematic......... climax is rosy,..... may be posting the resignation and trying to find a job together be a better ending..... and the story seems to have a strong infulence of Ray classic 'Mahanagar'....... am I right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. thnx but I've never seen "Mahanagar"...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well a very good story indeed,very modern as well as touchy too, but I think except the relationship between Frank & Mathew the every other relationships explained here has a "NAME" right?????

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete