The stories of life

The stories of life
LIFE

Sunday, December 13, 2009


OUR SECRET............
That day Mini was so excited. She said “mom, my today’s date with Abhi is not just a date; it is ‘the date’ because today is our anniversary, today we met for the first time.” Mini and Abhirup have been working together in the same office for the last couple of years. And then, the same old story, they fall for each other. My little daughter, Mini, she is a big girl now. It seems 25 years have passed away like 25 seconds. I wish I could stop the time. Milan is always busy in his office, news paper & football matches. But he is a responsible and loving father and husband. What is my Milan to me, I can’t explain. In short, he is my life. I’m so lucky to get his kind of a man in my life. I’m thankful God for that. Otherwise I was an atheist. I had so many complain to the God before that day; I along with my husband Milan Roychaudhary and My daughter Mini, live in Waltair, Vishakhapatnam, Andhrapradesh. I love this place, especially the beach, since my childhood. I never imagined that here I’d be back once again. It is my “destiny” that I’m back. Yeah, I believe in destiny. It was Saturday. So, there was nothing in Milan’s mind eccept his Premier league matches; I always give him company. May be, this way I try to expiate. He is so passionate about football. Whenever his favorite team misses a goal, he says: “oh shit”! That time you have to see his facial expressions. He looks so funny. But it is not at all funny when he uses those slangs when his team misses a goal. But I feel guilty for him. I was responsible….. Only because of me……… That’s the biggest secret of our lives. I didn’t know whether I could ever able to tell my daughter about that or not. Milan always wanted to tell her but I stopped him. But don’t know how that day destiny gave me the chance to tell her everything. Yes, I believe in “destiny”

As usual, I was giving company to Milan when he was watching Arsenal vs. FullhamU, Premier league match.

“How I’m looking?”

I looked back. It was Mini. In the mean time Milan shouted “GOAL”. Mini was angry with Milan and shouted “DAD?” It was quite natural. But I tried to handle the situation and said: “oh dear, you are looking gorgeous in this red dress. Isn’t it Milan?” Milan’s entire concentration was in the match. I shouted “MILAN”. …. He looked at me & asked “What?” I beckoned him to Mini. He just dropped from the blue: “Where are you going?” Oh, sometimes he is……

I said: “she has a date with…...”

Mini cut me in the middle not said. “Mom, it is ‘the date’….” “Oh yeah ‘the date’, sorry honey, I forgot”, I apologized to her. Milan said: “You, today’s girls, can’t survive without make up. Look at your mom. She is naturally beautiful. She doesn’t need any make up & all that...

This comment of her dad made Mini so upset. I once again tried to handle the situation. “Oh Milan, please….No honey you are looking beautiful, trust me.”

She went away. After half an hour door bell rang. When I opened the door, I was so shocked to see Mini….. Strange, she was back so soon! She was weeping. & without saying anything, she rushed to her room. I went behind her. I was really worried.

I asked: honey what happened? Please tell mumma…..

She said: “these men……! You know mumma, he said, ‘I missed the Arsenal’s match for this ‘date’ or ‘anniversary’ or whatever. And within couple of hours Manchester united’s match’ll start. I don’t wana miss that.” And he also said ‘don’t you think that your make up is too heavy? Why don’t you just stay natural?’ Can you believe it mumma? So, I broke up with him. He is so insensitive! Stupid fellow. I just hate him….”

I understood how she was feeling. But I was just shocked to hear that for a very trifling reason, she broke up.

“You, today’s kids……! Anyways good news is Arsenal won. I hope Manchester’ll win too. Ofcourse it will. Because ManU is the best” standing outside her room Milan was listening every thing. Very casually he entered into the room like nothing happened. Seeing his dad’s such attitude Mini was shocked. “Dad, I’m upset. I’ve broken up with him, and you are…….” Milan put his hand on her head, smiled and said, “My little princess, you are still a child”Mini said: No, I’m not dad….

I said, “Your dad is right, honey. You guys are so impatient. Love, relationship kind of things are not a piece of cake. The definition of love is totally changed, nowadays. I’m telling you the story of my friend Neha and Samrat, back in 1969.

Milan asked: “You never had any friend eccept me. Then who are Neha and Samrat?

I said: let me start the story, and then you will get to know who they are.

And then I started.


Neha was 13. Her father Mr. Debashish Majumdar, who was an engineer in a reputated company, got transferred to Waltair, from Bangaigaon, Assam.

Milan: Wait! Now I got it, who is Neha and Samrat…. I don’t believe this! Carry on. (His eyes were shining).

I smiled and continued: She was just like any other teenager. Like a free bird, restless, fun loving. She never faced any hurdle in her life. She was happy with her family, her parents, 2 elder sisters, 17 years old Malavika, 15 years old Mona & 10 years old brother, Bunty. She discovered that Waltair was totally different than Bongaigaon. The place, the people, the food, the culture everything. The thing she liked the most about the place, was the Beach. Spending hours & hours on the bitch. She loved the sound of the wave. Her life was perfect.

But one day every thing changed. It was a “Bolt from the blue” kind of situation to the entire family. Her father passed away in a car accident after 5 months. And from that day, her entire life changed. She didn’t have any idea what destiny planned for her. Her mother, Mrs. Nandita Majumdar along with her four kids was on the street. It was too difficult for her to bear the family expenses, school fees of her children etc. That time she didn’t have any other way eccept coming back to her ancestral house in Purulia, West Bengal.

For Neha, it was too hard to say “good bye” to Waltair and her favourite beach. The thought was killing her that she could never able to see the place again.

And then, they came to Purulia. But nothing was changed. Even the situation went worse. Nandita immediately needed a job to support her family. But it was to hard. Neha along with her brother & sisters got admitted to municipal school. From an expensive convent school to a municipal school, it was too hard to adjust. And not only that there were so many other adjustments they had to make, because their entire life style changed. But Malavika was the most matured sister. She tried to support her family. She gave tuitions to earn money. That way she tried to play the role of the eldest daughter of her family. But Neha, Mona, Bunty, three of them were not matured enough to understand the situation. They were dissatisfied.

One day Nandita’s one & only sister, Sushma who was seven years older than her along with her husband Piyush, came to her house from Allahbad. Sushma got married to a very sophisticated & rich family there. She had a 13 years old daughter. Seeing the distress of her sister, Sushma requested Nandita to send Neha with them to Allahbad. Their daughter and Neha were equal aged. That’s why they choosed her that she could be their daughter’s companion. They wanted to take all the responsibility of her.

It was the toughest decision which Nandita had to make. Neha was totally unknown with the forthcoming strome. That night when Neha was sleeping, she went to her and sitting near her head. She couldn’t stop her tears. In the morning, she told Neha everything. She didn’t believe that. She thought her mother was kidding her. But when she saw that she was packing her bag, then she got that it was not a joke. She ran away from there hided under the bed. But she couldn’t able to hide herself for long. She shouted and cried but no one cared. She realized that there was no value of her tears. And that day she also realized that she was alone in the world. She stopped crying, and packed her bags by herself. When she was leaving Purulia, Nandita and her sisters and brother were so upset. Nandita said: “please forgive me my child; I didn’t have any other way.” But not a single tear came out of her eyes. She didn’t even look at them.

In the train, her uncle told her about Allahabad and their Roychaudhary family. She was so young when she met them. Piyush told her that his elder brother, Vinay Roychoudhary and he were the advocates in the Allahabad High court. Their father was the judge there. Not only that they were also the holders of a big ancestral property. About Allahabad, he told so many things… It was a tale of two cities; the old city has a Glorious past and the new city that is rubbing shoulders with modernity; the antiquity of the place relates to Sangam, the confluence of the scared water of Ganga, Yamuna and the invisible Saraswati. The most propitious time of all happens every 12 years when the Kumbh mela takes place and many more.


And then she came to Allahbad. There a totally new chapter of her life was yet to begin.

When she came to Roychaudhary house, she was just stunned to see that. It was just like a mansion or a palace in‘fairy tale” stories. Sushma and Piyush took her into the living room. There were a man and a lady were sitting on the couch. Their attitude, their way of sitting was clearly telling that the man was the “king of the mansion”, Mr. Vinay Roychaudhary and the lady was “the queen”, Mrs. Bidisha Roychoudhary. Sushma introduced Neha to them.

Bidisha: “come to me, dear.” Neha was so nervous. Very slowly she went to her. Bidisha asked her to sit besides her.

Vinay: Neha? What a nice name you got.

Bidisha: Welcome to the family. You never think yourself different than the other children of the house.

She immediately felt at home. Both Mr. and Mrs. Roychowdhary were so affectionate, loving and caring. Suddenly a teenage girl came to the living room. She was a bubbly kind of a girl, with a very sweet smile. She was her Aunt Sushma’s daughter Bulti. There were two other people who were sitting away from that place. Bidisha called and introduced Neha to them. They were Bidisha and Vinays’ son Rahul and Daughter Riya. Rahul was 17, studding in school and was a brilliant student. Riya was 19 and studding in college. But their attitude was different than the other members of the family. They didn’t even say “hello” to her. Bidisha asked Bulti to show Neha the house. She was so excited and said: “come with me”.

She took Neha to the garden first. It was simply beautiful.

Bulti asked: “why you are so silent? I think you are missing your family, right?”

Neha said “No, I’m not”.

Bulti: “you can’t hide from anything from me. No one can”.

There was a temple in the garden. Bulty said, “You know the temple is about 100 years old?”

Neha asked: “why do we worship?”

Bulti: “Because God fulfills our wishes. He saves us from danger and gives happiness to us”.

Neha was silent for some while and said: Is it? Then he is not for me.

Bulti: I will never able to understand you. Anyways…

From the garden, she took Neha to the first floor of the house and was showing the rooms. Suddenly in the downstairs, there was some noise. “Three cheers for Samrat… HIP HIP HOORAY, HIP HIP HOORAY HIP HIP HOORAY…

Bulti seemed so excited. She said: I knew it! Samrat won. He is aunt Bidisha’s youngest son, you know.” Before Neha asked her something, she ran away….

Samrat, fifteen years old guy along with his friends, Manas and Vishal and a shield, when entered in the house, it seemed that there was a gala time there. All the members eccept Rahul and Riya, including the servants reached to the living room. Everyone was excited. Vinay, was a proud father.

In the first floor, Neha lost her way and entered into a room. The room was covered with the posters of the famous footballers and there was a shelf, full of shields, cups etc.

“Hey, who are you?”

Neha looked back. It was Samrat. Before Neha say anything, he said: I guess, you are the new maid. But what you are doing here, go downstairs?” Neha was feeling insulted and left the room without saying anything.

Vishal: She is……..

Samrat: Stop flirting….. She is a maid…Hello…!! Be a little quality conscious.

Vishal: In case of girls? Oh I can never be….. You know that…..

After few minutes Bulti entered into the room and said: Hey did you meet my cousin Neha?

Samrat: Neha? You mean the girl in blue dress?

Bulti: Oh yeah….

Samrat: Oh shit! I thought she was the maid. Oh no.

Bulti: What?! Go and say sorry to her.

Vishal: She is hot.

Bulti: Hey, you don’t even think about that, okay? She is my cousin. Stay away from her. Got it?

Vishal: okay okay….

Bulti: Jerk….

Samrat couldn’t understand how to say sorry to her. She was in the living room. But he was so ashamed of his behavior that he couldn’t able to talk to her.

At night all the members of the family met on the dinner table. Every one was talking about Samrat’s victory. He was describing how he made the goals. He was the striker of the team. Vinay was so happy. But there were two people who were not at all excited, Rahul and Riya.

Rahul: What about your grades in the school? Every single time “football” “football”. Oh I’m just sick of it! Here in Allahabad there is no opportunity for football. What you will do in the future?

Riya: Absolutely…….

Vinay had a good sense of humor. To pull their legs, he said: “Are you jealous of your younger brother that you can’t play like him?”

Riya argued: “My bro Rahul can’t play like Samrat. But can Samrat be the topper in the class like Rahul?”

Bidisha objected “What do you mean by “my bro Rahul?” Then who is Samrat? You are the eldest sister of the family, don’t you forget that. How could you be so partial?”

Rahul: Let’s go sis. It’s their celebration time; we are looking so odd here.

Then both of them walked away…. Samrat was not feeling comfortable there. His face turned pale and he also walked away.

The same old thought was killing Neha that her family members threw her away from their lives. At night on the bed, she was thinking about that. She got up from there and went to the garden to get some fresh air.

In the garden she was shocked to see someone. There was someone sitting on the garden bench. It was Samrat.

Seeing Neha, he asked: What you are doing here?

Neha: I can also ask the same question.

Samrat: Smart ha? Didn’t you see what happened on the dinner table? Every single time the same old story….. Anyways why you are here?

Neha: To get some fresh air, that’s it.

Samrat: Sorry.

Neha: Sorry for what?

Samrat: I thought you, the maid.

Neha (started laughing): oh please. It’s okay. So, you play football?

Samrat: It’s my dream you know, to be a great footballer. I can’t even imagine my life without football. One day I will play for the National team. Are you missing your family and friends?

Neha: I don’t have anyone., neither a family nor friends. I’m all alone.

Samrat: In that sense I’m alone too. You are not alone. You don’t even think that. Will you be my friend?

Neha was so excited: Sure! Why not?

Samrat: Okay then friends….And they shake hands.

THAT WAS THE BEGINNING OF THEIR FRIENDSHIP WHICH NO ONE COULD EVER BREAK.


After that night, everything was changed. Both of their lives changed. Neha got admitted to the school there. The family’s love and Samrat’s friendship changed her life. She forgot all her pains. Allahabad was a beautiful city. On the other side, Nandita got a job. The situation was almost under control there. But Neha didn’t go back. The Roychaudhary family didn’t let her go. She and Samrat shared everything together, their joy, sorrow, everything. According to Samrat, Neha was his “lucky charm”. She used to cheer for him during his matches. The bank of river Ganga was their favorite place to hang out….. There was no comparison between the bank of River Ganga and the bitch of Waltair, indeed. But that place was the witness of their friendship. They became dependable to each other. They couldn’t even imagine their lives without the friendship. Everyone loved Neha eccept Rahul and Riya.
Like this five years passed away.
One day in the evening when Samrat came back from his practices, every one was shocked to see him. He was injured. It was bleeding from his head, nose and hands…He said that he injured during his practices. He went to his room. Neha was worried so when she asked him what the matter was, he didn’t answer and asked her to leave him alone. In the mean time Rahul was back from his tuitions after college. Every one was in the living room and was talking about Samrat.
In a very casual manner Rahul sat on the couch and asked: Mom, where is the anti social element?
Bidisha: What do you mean? Do you know what happened? Your brother…..
Rahul( cut her in the middle): Yeah yeah I do…. Manas told me. The fact is he had a fight with Vishal.
Bidisha: What?! What are you saying?
Rahul: oh yeah Vishal said something about Neha, which the “anti social element” didn’t like. So he fought with his childhood friend. That’s it…
Neha was totally blank.
Bidisha: I don’t believe this!
Riya: This is just the beginning mom….
Neha went to Samrat’s room and asked “Why?”
He was sitting on a chair and silent. His head was down. After a while he said: That “son of a bitch” was talking bullshit about you.
Neha: And that’s why you…..
Samrat: Yes, I broke his teeth.
He got up and holded her tightly and said: Always remember one thing, that you are mine and only mine. Don’t you just dare to forget this……..
Neha was speechless. Samrat hugged her.
That was the most special moment of their lives.
But there was some one outside the room, to ruin the special moment, it was Riya.
She told everything to her parents. Bidisha and Vinay decided to send Samrat to Calcutta.
That was the toughest moment for both of them. For the last five years they had been together and they were habituated to each other.
Finally Samrat went to Calcutta. There he joined a reputed football club. He was so closed to his dreams. But he was missing Neha.
Here in the Roychoudhary house, everyone’s attitude to Neha was changed totally. They started behaving rude to her. Within a moment everything was changed. Those known faces became unknown.But Bulti’s attitude to her didn’t change. Samrat wrote so many letters to Neha, but no one let those to reach to her. Here Samrat was so angry with her after getting no reply. He thought she forgot him.
One day in the evening Bulti came to Neha by rushing and said that Bidisha asked her to come to the living room. When she went to the living room, the entire family was there.
Vinay said: We have decided something. It is for your good. Or you can say your and our good. We wrote a letter to your mother. She doesn’t have any objection. We have fixed your marriage. After marriage you can continue your studies. Hope they don’t have any objection. It is after two weeks. So, get ready.
It seemed that she lost her foothold…. Her brain stooped working. Without saying anything, she went to her room. She was desperate to talk to Samrat. But it was impossible. It was a house arrest kind of situation to her.
On the other side, Samrat was selected for a crucial match which was going to be two weeks later (on the day of Neha’s marriage). He was so excited. That was the most special moment of his life. He was almost close to his dreams. He wanted to share everything with Neha. He once again wrote a letter to her. But as usual, the letter didn’t reach to her. Here every moment was so tough to her. Bulti understood her situation. She couldn’t stop herself. She wrote a letter to Samrat describing the situation at home.
Couple of days before his match, he got the letter. He was so excited and thought that Neha wrote to him. But after going through that, it seemed that the world stopped turning. He went crazy. He couldn’t able to concentrate in his practice. The couch was dissatisfied with his performance. He could not able to decide anything. He went to the coach and said: I want to go home. It’s urgent.
Coach (He just dropped from the blue): Are you out of your mind? Do you know what you are saying? Only couple of days left for the match.
Samrat: Yes, I do….. But I have to. Otherwise it will be late……
Coach: If you want to then you can go but you will miss the opportunity to play for the National team, FOREVER. After this match the selection committee will select the players on the basis of their performances. I’m sure you will be selected. I’m confident about it. I’ve so many expectations from you. Don’t miss the opportunity, my boy.
Samrat: I have to go at any cost.
Coach: Ok then go; pack your bag and just get lost….
He packed his bag and came out of the club. It was the end of his “DREAM”. He turned back to say “GOOD BYE” to his life’s biggest dream. A tear dropped from his eye. By wiping that one he left the place forever.
Then he came to Allahbad. After reaching home, he created a huge mess. He had a fight with the entire family. Neha from her room was listening everything. But she didn’t come out of there. After a long argument when Samrat failed to convince them, he had the only option left. He said: if you don’t care me, then why should I care you? I’m leaving this house forever.”
Rahul said: As you wish. We don’t need your kind of guy who doesn’t care about family reputation. Go wherever you want.
Bidisha: What you are saying?
Riya: Bro is right. We are here to look after you and dad. Who needs him?
Vinay: But this is not the solution.
Samrat: Will you cancel the wedding or not? I’m asking you dad…..
Vinay was silent for a while and then said: No.
Samrat picked up his bag and left the house. It was evening time.
Neha decided to leave Roychoudhary house…. She packed her bag and left the house at night. After coming out of there she didn’t know where she would go?

She came to the bank of the river Ganga and sat there…. Her mind was full of thoughts. Suddenly she felt someone was standing besides her. She looked up. It was Samrat!!! She got up. It had been a long time they were seeing each other. They couldn’t able to say anything. Neha hugged him and started crying. Samrat said: “don’t…. please don’t…”
Then I stopped. Mini was listening with proper concentration. She asked “then did they happily live ever after? Like a fairy tale story?”
I: no honey life is different than the fairy tales. After that they faced the real challenge of life. They left Allahbad and came to Lakhnow, did small jobs, lived in a very small rented house. They completed their studies. I don’t know where they are now. But wherever they are, I’m sure that they are happy, because their love and most of all their friendship were the biggest assets of their lives.
Mini: Mumma, I’m missing Abhi.
I (smiling): I knew it sweety.
Suddenly doorbell rang.
Milan: Mini you should open the door.
Mini: cool.
Then she went to open the door.
Milan, holded my hand and said: finally you told her……... But why didn’t you tell her that Neha and Samrat are actually Dipa and Milan and it was our story…???
I: Do you want to tell her?
Milan: No…and he started laughing.
I: I feel guilty.
Milan: for what?
I: for your football…..
Milan (cut me in the middle): oh no….plez… don’t…
I couldn’t stop my tears. He holded my hand and said: No…. then wiped my tears.
I: today I don’t have any complain to the God anymore…
Milan: I don’t believe this…really?
I: yes….
Mini opened the door, it was Abhi. Before he says something she hugged him and said: I love you so much. Please forgive me.
Abhi: No, even I’m sorry for my insensitive behaviour. Today is the special day to both of us. I love you too. I was missing you.
Milan and I were seeing everything.
Milan: So, you guys patched up. If you want then you can join me for the ManU vs Chelse match, young man.
Abhi: Sure sir…..
Milan: okay then get some chilled beer from the refrigerator.
Mini: Can I join you?
Abhi: As you wish, sweetheart.
I: then I would also like to join you people...
Milan: Did I ever watch football without my “lucky charm?”
Then we had a blast….. It was a wonderful evening….
(Dedicated to Mr. & Mrs. Talukdar)

5 comments:

  1. nothigh to say.....! 1 & only impression is that "I am crying"..................!!

    u write so well....offff.

    majestic....!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. bes romanch-kar..... no doubt.... Valo laglo..

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice one a lil long but very intresting

    ReplyDelete