The stories of life

The stories of life
LIFE

Wednesday, June 30, 2010


The Penance

 After the meeting Niyati along with the others like Tiwari, the M.P, the MLAs , Municipal commissioner, S.P and the other administrative officials, comes out of the collectorate  building where the media and the press are waiting for them. One of a journalists asked M.P Tiwari, “Sir, tell us something about the District’s new township project”.
Tiwari, “As you all know that the district is one of the most backward districts of Madhya Pradesh and the project is a great opportunity for us and an honour as well that the country’s leading business group has showed interest to it. So, we are all looking forward. The project will give recognition to our district.”


Another journalist asks, “But sir, what about the people of the Dalit basti, I mean the slum of the untouchable lower caste people who have been on hunger strike for the last one week? They don’t want to give their lands for the project and what about those Human rights organizations and NGOs who are protesting? Under these circumstances how could you be so sure about the project? 
Tiwary says, “We are all optimistic about the project and I’ve enough faith on Miss. Sinha, the DM who has been doing her job so efficiently. We have no doubt about her capabilities. I’m sure she will sort out the problem soon.”

Niyati is discussing something with her assistant Dipak, standing behind Tiwari. He says, “Miss Sinha, put some light on the issue.”
She comes forward and addresses to the press, “The “dalit basti”, human right activists and the NGOs are the biggest hurdles in the way of the project and the progress as well. I will not let anyone to do that. No one can stop the project. We will take all the necessary steps to sort out the problem as soon as possible.”

Dipak by standing behind her, whispers, “I know I know nothing is impossible for your kind of ruthless bitch”.

 
Some journalist asks, “So according to you the people of the slums are not the human being and a township project is bigger and more important than “human life”.   
Niyati, No more question please.

She comes out of the crowd with Tiwari and the others. He says, “Make it done as soon as possible. I can’t wait anymore.”
Niyati says, “Don’t worry and leave it to me.” She takes her car and drives away.

Dipak is still there. He asks Tiwari, “‘Can’t wait’ for what?”
Tiwary: “For the project”.
 “For the project or for the twenty crore rupees commission? Which one?
Tiwari, “What do you mean?”
Dipak, “Nothing. I gotta go.”. 
Coming back to home, Niyati sits on her couch to relax. Her maid, Madhu like every day grabs black coffee for her. Madhu asks her, “Madam, what would you prefer in the dinner?” She says, “Pasta would be better”. Madhu says, “As you wish madam”. She walks away. When Niyati opens her e-mail inbox, she gets surprised to see Ankita’s mail after a long time. She is her best friend since childhood. After a stressful day, Ankita’s mail gives her a reason to smile. She starts reading,

“Dearest Nitu,

Wassap? I know you are busy right now. I saw everything on TV and went through the news papers. This is the most burning issue of the country at this moment. Well, I’m always with you honey, but this time, I’m sorry. I don’t wish to argue with you because I’m busy nowadays in a new project. It’s a cave which has been found in Nasik. An archeologist’s life is not easy. 

Well, the reason of the mail is, I need a favor. There is a two thousand years old temple which has been found in your district. According to ASI, I mean the Archeological survey of India, it has a potential to secure its position in the list of UNESCO world heritage site. That’s why ASI is sending someone to your district for this purpose tomorrow. Now the question is who this “someone” is! Honey just hold your breadth. The “someone” is Joy, my boy friend.  I know that you hate him. You think him a looser. But you also know that how special he is to me. This is an important assignment which will give his career a new dimension. You are the DM. That’s why you can help him better then any one else. I rely on you. I know you are stressed but…. Sorry for being so selfish sweetie. Please don’t say “no”.
 
With lots of love.
Anky.
She is sweating, the AC is on though. “Joy” the name makes her worried and tensed. She is totally blank what to reply, but only for Ankita, she replies,
“Dear Anky,
I’m so happy, hearing from you after a long time. Of course he can come. It’ll be a pleasure to help him.
With love.
Nitu.”
But in the middle of the night she wakes up after a nightmare. “Joy” the name is echoing in her mind.

Next day, after the office when she comes back home, Madhu tells her, “Madam, someone is waiting for you in the living room. His is name is Joy”. Dipak is with Niyati today. She starts sweating once again. Her heartbeat increases. She enters into the room. Dipak is behind her. Joy, by sitting on the couch was reading newspaper. He stands up. There is a cute smile on his face and politely he says, “Hello Nitu, how are you?”  Niyati replies, “Call me Niyati. Only my closed ones can call by that name, get it?” Joy takes it casually and says, “You are still the same.” The cute smile is still on his face. He continues, “Hope Ankita told you everything. Actually ASI made all the arrangements for me in the guest house.”
She says, “Yeah, she did. You don’t need to go the guest house because I’ve made all the arrangements for you here.”
“I don’t believe this! Really?”
“I’ve promised to Ankita”.
“Thank you so much. But……..”
“No but; in the morning Dipak will take you to the site”.
“Oh thank you so much”.
He says Dipak, “Hey buddy, thanks”.
Deepak says, “You don’t need to thank me. It will take just half an hour”.
In the mean time, Madhu enters into the room with three cups of coffee. Niyti shouts, “What the hell is this? 
This is not black coffee.”
Madhu gets scared and says, “I’m sorry madam, actually my son is hospitalized. That’s why I…………..”
She cut her in the middle and says, “If you have problem then you can quit and stay at home. Get lost”.
Madhu starts crying, “Madam please forgive me.”
“Okay, but this is the last warning to you. Dipak, take him to the guest room.”  And then she leaves the room.
Madhu is still weeping. Joy asks her, “What happened to your son?”

She says, “Malaria, sir.”
Joy asks, “How is he now?”
“He is in a critical condition, sir. I am a single mother. Me and my six years old son live in a slum. The job is my only source of income, sir.”
Dipak asks, “Who is with him right now in the hospital?”
“My neibour. Before night I can’t go to him.”
Joy is shocked, “What?! Oh no!”
Dipak once again whispers, “Ruthless bitch. One day I will kill her”.
Joy says, “Wait, I’m free now. I have nothing to do. So why don’t I go to the hospital to take care of his?”
Madhu and Dipak both are stunned and say, “What?!”
Joy (smiling) asks, “Why not? Don’t worry. Dipak take me to the hospital, if you won’t mind.”

Dipak is shocked and silently looking at his face. Joy says, “Come on dude, hurry up”.

“Oh yeah. Let’s go”.

Madhu by wiping up her tears, says, “You are great, sir. Thank you very much. You are an angel”.
Joy (Smiling), “Don’t be so formal. Trust me the pleasure is all mine.” 

The horrible and deplorable condition of the Government hospital makes Joy shocked. In short, it is a hell which is not at all suitable for human being. Even hell is better than this place, though he spends the evening with the child.

At night he comes back to the DM house.

In the early morning, Dipak takes him to the temple. After a hectic day, at 4 o’clock he gets bored. So to chill himself he starts walking. Dipak is busy in writing Independence Day speech for Niyati in the car. After half an hour of walking he stops with a sound of scream. When he reaches there, he sees a woman is crying by holding her son. Joy asks a man who is standing besides him, “What’s wrong?” He says, “Her son has died of starvation. He was on hunger strike. It has become a regular feature of this place.” It is clear to Joy that this is the dalit basti which is in the news. He silently looks at the people especially the mother who by holding her child is crying. Meanwhile Dipak comes there and keep his hand on Joy’s shoulder and says, “You are here? I had been searching you.”  Joy says, “Oh I’m sorry buddy. I was just….”.He stops. Words are not coming out of his mouth. Dipak asks, “You are looking so upset. What’s wrong?” Joy answered, “I saw everything on TV. But today I witnessed everything so closely and trust me, this is horrible or I should say, inhuman”. Dipak smiles, “Yeah inhuman; But who cares? This is the game of money, my dear friend. These poor people are unwanted. Poverty alleviation programs are bullshit. Actually alleviation of poor is equal to “poverty alleviation”. Is that clear to you?  Now let’s go or else the ruthless bitch will kill me.”  
When Joy and Dipak come back to DM house, Madhu comes to them and says, “Madam wants to meet Joy sir.” Joy asks, “How is your son now?” Madhu says, “He is better now. But still some tests are pending.” Both of them enter into the living room. Niyati asks Joy, “How was your day?” Joy is still upset; He answers, “Not bad.” She asks Dipak, “Is my speech ready?” Dipak replies, “Oh yes maam.”  
Niyati, “Ok, then see you tomorrow on the parade ground. You may go now”. Dipak walks away.

Joy is silent. Suddenly he breaks the silence and asks her, “Speech for what?”
Niyati, “For the Independence day which is tomorrow”.
Joy, “This is really ridiculous that you want someone else to write about your country”.
Niyati, “What do you mean?”

Joy, “I mean this is your country, your mother land, the words should come straight from your heart while talking about it. Forget it. It’s meaningless to discuss anything like that with your kind of fool.”
By hearing the word, Niyati gets shocked! She shouts, “What do you mean and how dare you?” She gets up of the couch on which she was sitting.

Joy, “I dare, yes I do. U know why? I am not scared of saying the truth. You think yourself a winner and you hate to loose huh. But you are nothing but a looser according to me. What did you do for this area in these five years? Have you ever been to the Government hospital? Or the place where your maid Madhu lives or that dalit slums where people are living a miserable life? Now you are talking about “development” and “progress?” You fool “progress” depends on the progress of the life style of people, not on “township projects” and all that. Progress depends on “education”, “better health facilities”, “infrastructure development” “better livelihood” etc. You illiterate, Poverty alleviation program is not equal to “poor alleviation”.
 
Niyati is stunned! For first time in her life some one is talking to her by using such tone. She doesn’t understand what to say. She says, “Township project wasn’t my idea. State government took the decision….”
Joy cut her in the middle and shouted, “To hell with your state Government. What did you do? Didn’t you support this decision? Your education is meaningless because you can’t differentiate right and wrong. Your kind of “educated” peoples’ job is licking the feet of some corrupt politicians for your own profit like promotions and all that. “Winner?” My foot. ”
Niyati, “I don’t care. Who the hell are you to teach me all these? I’m shocked to see your audacity. I think you are drunk.”
Joy, “You liar! You don’t care me huh? You can make everyone fool but not me. You think yourself a winner, but the name “Joy” makes you feel like a looser. Am I wrong? Nahhh. You won every game of your life. But you failed to win “Joy”. I never liked you because of your arrogance. My love is distance dream to you. I don’t even hate you. You don’t even deserve my hatred. I’m moving to the guest house. Even I didn’t want to see your face. Ankita forced me. I can’t say 'no' to her because I love that girl more than myself.”
He walks away.
A drop of tear comes out of Niyati’s eyes. Joy is the first love her life. But Joy loved Ankita. He never cared Niyati. This is the reason why she gets tensed to hear the name. "Joy" is the name which makes her feel like a looser. 


On the next day, Niyati goes to the parade ground. There is a huge crowd of public and media. Tiwari and the others are also present in this occasion. Dipak gives her the speech which is written by him. But she says, “I don’t need it any more.” 
She goes on the stage and says, “Every year my assistant Dipak writes speech for me, but this year, I don’t need it anymore because this is my country, my mother land, so words should come out straight from my heart. First of all I would like to apologize to all of you that I failed to do my duty properly. Yes, I failed. Now I have realized that a township project is not enough for the progress of the society. The most important factor is the welfare of the people like, education, good health facilities, infrastructure development, employment etc. I’m a very small part of this vast system. I don’t have the strength to fight with this alone. I'm really ashamed of myself that I supported some power lover corrupt people in their game of money. I’m extremely sorry. I know after this they will throw me to some jungle or desert. But I don’t care because where ever they will throw me; I’ll not repeat the mistake. I’ll do my duty properly and will never forget the difference between “right” and “wrong”. I’m sorry to all of you people. Forgive me.”
Tiwari is sitting on the stage. He stands up of the chair and whispers “Are you crazy? What are you saying?” Niyati, “For the first time in my life I’m saying the right thing. I was crazy but not anymore.”

She gracefully walks out of the place. From there she comes to the hospital where Madhu’s son is admitted. She is stunned to see the deplorable condition of the place. She goes to the child and sits besides him and asks, “How are you feeling now?” The child smiles. Suddenly some one stands besides her. It is Joy. She can’t able to look at him. Joy says, “Today I can proudfully say that a winner is sitting in front of me.” Niyati can’t stop her tears. Joy says, “Why are you crying? Today for the first time you won. You make every one defeated. Dipak told me everything.” Joy asks her, “What next?”
 
She answers, “Waiting for the transfer order.”
“Whenever you’ll need someone, this friend of yours will always be there for you.” He hugged her. “I have finished my job. Now I’ve to submit my report to ASI; so going to Delhi tonight.”
“Tonight?”
“Yes, but as I said, I’ll always be there for you, Niyati.”
“No, call me Nitu.”
“Okay, Nitu.”(Smiles).

After few months, due to the pressure of the party high command and the central Government, the state Government has to cancel the project.The public protest made the party high command scared especially before the assembly elections. They didn't want to take any risk, so they had to cancel the project. Niyati doesn’t get transferred. Even everyone appreciated her bravery. The people of the Dalit slums get back their land. Madhu’s son is totally cured. He after the school comes to the DM house every day and plays in the garden there.He spends most of the time with his mother nowadays. Dipak doesn’t call her by the name “ruthless bitch” anymore. 
One fine day Niyati wakes up in the morning. She opens the window. The sun is shinning so bright. The nice cool wind kisses away all the pain. This is the new sun rise of her life. She opens her e-mail inbox. She is so happy to get Ankita’s mail once again.
“Dearest Nitu,
Thank you so much for your help. Joy told me everything whatever you did on 15th Aug. Bravo! But I’m so shocked you know! I mean how?! This is a miracle! But it’s great to see you like this. Hope you will never change yourself. I love u honey.

But I have a different purpose of my mail. Once again I need your favor. You have to come to Delhi on 2nd November. Guess what; Joy and me are getting married. You must come. I’m so nervous. Sorry, I lied. I’m so happy. I’m happy to get a partner like him.
Take care.
Love u.”

Niyati replies,
“Dearest Anky,
 
Congratulations. I’ll definitely come.
With love.
Nitu”.

She looks at the window. The sun is still shinning so bright. A drop of tear comes out of her eye. 









7 comments:

  1. jio.......... fatafati re,... bapok hyeche......

    ReplyDelete
  2. "FOJLI AAM" ROCKS AGAIN LITERALLY.....!! :P so, inspired 4rm mo, mi & sa... right???!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thnx Sam 4 d comment. I didn't know dat Mo is n love wid Sa & Mi & Sa are bf-gf.lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmmmm, maybe u knew dat from da other way round coz i can c in ur cmmnt dat mo & mi r placed in their mst appropriate places.... lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. D story s inspired by ma imagination. that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Waah! Such a beautiful story! A nice movie can be made out of it... The story itself was a life-like experience, which only truly talented writers can bring out in their work.
    And your sketches were the cherry on top of the cake!
    Very nice & also teaches us something at the end.
    Keep up the good work! :^)

    ReplyDelete